Yesterday was the first day of spring and let me tell you how excited I am to finally see the light at the end of this long, cold tunnel that we call winter! I woke up in a good mood which is not the normal Monday feeling. Work was pretty easy. The sun was shinning and temps were in the 50’s.
My yoga community was working together on performing 108 sun salutations to wring in the new season. For more info on the what or why, you can read it here. I could not wait to get home and try for myself. I managed 30 before getting lightheaded so I thought it best to stop and switch to heart openers for gratitude instead. I finished the session with mediation with my mala which is like a rosary. It consists of 108 beads that you repeat an intention with each breath per bead. I felt grounded and refreshed when I was done.
After my yoga session, Dan and I actually cooked dinner instead of going out. Nothing mind blowing but it was nice to stay in. We have started doing this the past few weeks, one day a week. It is like a reverse date night since we never cook for ourselves anymore.
Since spring is a rebirth~ a time for new beginnings, I have made some changes that I put in to action starting this past Sunday. Generally, if you put a plan in writing, you are more likely to stick with it. And if you have been reading along for a while, you know how much I love a good list!
- I treated myself to a body, mind and soul detox. I have never bought someone’s detox program before but this one is only $129 which I think is very reasonable. It is 21 days of yoga, mediation and food planning. My word for this year is determination: to change old eating habits, get back on my fitness track and grow as a person. If you want to make changes, you have to invest in yourself and do the work. So when I saw this offered, I knew it was right for me. This starts on April 3rd and I cannot wait to start!
- My food…. even though I am still eating the same way I have been since my calorie counting days, there is always room for improvement. I know I consume more carbs then I should. This is the difficult part considering we eat out every night. I have started choosing more salads or swapping fries for salad or fruit when I can.
~ I also want to cut back on animal protein. I eat chicken 6-7 days a week and it’s getting old. Pork and beef are rarely eaten. I eat eggs every morning for breakfast, lunches are generally something vegetarian. So cutting back at dinner should not be too hard. I am not planning to go total vegetarian but cutting back could be a good thing.
- I have also decided to cut back on my beer consumption to 2-3 days a week and only allowing 1-2 beers per those days (special events not included). What I order to drink depends on where we go for dinner. So this should not be to difficult either.
- Drink more water on the weekends. This does not sound hard, I know. But I actually don’t drink a lot of anything when I am home after my morning coffee. I tried this Sunday and had to conscientiously write down each time I drank 8 oz. At work I hit 88 oz every day before 3:00 without thinking twice about it. Maybe I should start ordering water with my beer… two birds, one stone.
- Start a daily meditation practice. I had a good practice going back on 2015 but fell out of habit. I am up to every other day after starting a week ago. This detox I am starting will help make this a habit.
- Get more cardio and weight lifting into my workout routine. Yoga and weights anyone?
Breakfast pizza and apples/sunflower seed butter
So there you have it. I haven’t done a list like this in over a year. I am really looking forward to seeing changes in the way I feel, how my clothes fit and over all reduce stress.
I am determined to make 2017 my year of change. I am not unhappy or anything. Actually I think I am quite the opposite. However, I do feel that life gets stuck in a loop and you need to jump off and try a new ride once in a while.
How do you jump-start your health plan?
Do you have any favorite meatless lunch food ideas that you can share? This is where I struggle with keeping it exciting.
Today is the start of a new chapter. The pages are still unwritten. What will your story say? Will you finally forgive and release those that have done you wrong in the past or will you allow those negative feelings to continue to hold you down? Will you look at past mistakes as failure or lessons to grow and become stronger? Only you can break the cycles you repeat every year. Was 2016 the same shit as years past? Now is the time for you to step out of that shadow and begin to make changes to a happier, healthier you. You pages are unwritten. What will your story say?
This is what I shared on Instagram this morning and wanted to also share on here. This will probably be my last post for a while. I have decided to step away from blogging and focus more on my IG account. My intentions for 2017 are set and I feel that platform suits it best. I hope you all will continue to follow along there so we can stay connected. Thank you for reading. I hope you have a very happy and healthy 2017.
The other day I was asked, “What do I want?”
Of course I made jokes at first because that is what I do. When I got serious about that question I started to think about it. I mean really think hard…
I finally responded back, ” I want to inspire people to find their happy.” Which got me thinking about change….
I have been thinking a lot about this blog and it’s future here on WordPress….
Do I keep writing about random things and hope people will read it? I feel this space needs more substance.
Am I interested in keeping up with it enough to pay the yearly fee? Meh… it’s not a deal breaker….
Is it servicing it’s purpose? I mean, I don’t cook much anymore so I am not sharing any recipes. I don’t run or belong to a gym…. Most of the brand ambassadorships do not serve a purpose to me anymore…
My blog is having an identity crisis and it needs to either shut down or get a make over.
I originally started blogging years ago as an outlet for my life stories and I feel like I am swinging back to that routine again. That is totally fine! However, I feel like I spend most of my time on Instagram nowadays posting picks with mini stories attached to them. My life isn’t what it was back in 2009. I am not the same person as back then.
So how do I incorporate what I want in life into Four The Health Of It? I am thinking of ways to blog more and hopefully inspire people to better themselves. This was never intended to be only a fitness or running blog. It’s about overall health.
Isn’t being happy a big part of that?
So… How is everyone surviving this February? It hard to believe it’s almost over. I have been busy trying to stay warm like the rest of the North East. I have been tinkering about with some new workouts and apps. One that I am very excited to tell you about is BurnThis. I became an ambassador of this great community in the beginning of February and now that I have have time to settle in, I wanted to share the awesomeness with you!
What is BurnThis? The brainchild of co-founders Anna Kohanski Mason and Monica Johnson, BurnThis a Pinstagram app just for fitness. BurnThis combines cutting-edge photo sharing tools with with an active fitness super community that inspires and pushes you to be your healthiest, most fit self. It’s where you can share and discover motivational quotes, workout selfies, progress photos and whatever else you want to motivate and inspire! BurnThis is the world’s most inspiring community of fitness and wellness lovers. Within minutes, you will be addicted to sharing fitness photos and inspired to workout more! The app is available at the Itunes App store.
Set your profile to list your affiliations, bio info, favorite quote… whatever you want!
Share, like and comment on photos from the community. Unlike other apps, you see ALL the new photos plus a separate wall just for the friends you follow.
Join challenges to stay motivated and win prizes!
The website is full of more inspiration on the blog page. This is where you can meet trainers, fitness professionals and bloggers that are being featured. Are you looking for workout tips, new recipes or a new gym/studio in your area? Head on over to the website.
Are you interested in becoming an ambassador? The Website has that information too~ just click here to be swept away to the learn more! I hope you decide to come over and have fun with us. Please look me up and let me know that you follow me so I can follow you back!
Are you already using the BurnThis app? If so, what is your favorite feature?
(Disclaimer – there was no compensation for this post. This is just me sharing the love with all of you fine people)